Report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse in Texas
Fraud, waste, or abuse can be related to the expenditure of state funds for:
- The General Appropriations Act-expenditures by state agencies, colleges, and universities or use of state grant money.
- The federal stimulus or American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
- Hurricane Ike.
Why report fraud?
Anyone can report fraud, waste, or abuse.
In addition, state agencies, colleges, and universities are required by law (Texas
Government Code, Section 321.022) to report suspected fraud or unlawful conduct to the State Auditor's Office
if there are facts (not just mere suspicion) that point to fraud or unlawful conduct. Persons or entities reporting
fraud to the State Auditor's Office (SAO)do not have to establish probable cause and/or have a suspect.
The SAO investigates allegations of misuse and/or illegal acts involving state resources.
This includes funds provided by the State of Texas to aid Hurricane Ike victims.
To report fraud, waste, or abuse occurring at a Texas state agency, college, or university call the SAO Hotline at
1-800-TX-AUDIT (892-8348). In addition, a form to report fraud, waste, or abuse is available on the
Fraud Reporting page. Reports of fraud, waste, or abuse may also be mailed to:
State Auditor's Office
P.O. Box 12067
Austin, TX 78711-2067.
Persons who report fraud may choose to remain anonymous.
Information to Submit
Provide as much detail as necessary so that appropriate action can be taken. This can include the following:
- Your name (optional if you would like to remain anonymous).
- Contact information, such as e-mail, telephone, or address (if PO box, please include a physical address).
- Description of incident (see FAQ for more details).